Saturday, April 4, 2009

Found then Lost, then Found again.

At home over the break, I had the opportunity to relax a bit more than in the months prior. This little bit of time to regroup and refresh gave me a chance to just sit in my room and be again. I love my home. In my room I have a painting done by one of my friends, Errol, who also makes movies with me. He couldn't be home for the break because he goes to school in California (I live in Florida). You can see the painting here, along with some of his other work. That bit of time I spent looking at that painting, which had fallen out of my memory during school, gave me a chance to find what I loved most about life. The most beautiful parts of home and the greatest feelings and experiences I had there. I hope to never have to lose my closest friends from there.
But anyway. His work is very expressive. His sketches and paintings really encompass the defining moments and emotions in his life. I think he shares the subjective nature of modern art in that he shows the viewer a severely personal representation of existence. Because of those artists, the way they changed the world of art, Errol can make these weird interpretive paintings. He can capture the way the world feels without having to capture its exact physical dimensions. The ideas that those artists pioneered have led to a paradigm shift in our view of every type of art. We now ask why a piece looks or sounds or feels a certain way, what it could be saying about the world. We see a voice now.
That got me to thinking, which got me to writing. I've started a short script inspired by one of the characters in the painting. Below is what I have thus far. I think I'll pass it along to the fellow members of BaldMan Pictures (our little production company) so that they might find a little something in it also.


OVER BLACK

EMMA (V.O.)
Good morning, starshine.

A tired moan.

EMMA (V.O.) (CONT'D)
I thought we'd go for an adventure
today.

Another tired moan. A bed creaks as if someone has just
sat down upon it.

EMMA (V.O.) (CONT'D)
You haven't been with me out there
in a while. It'll be like when we
were little.

Silence.

EMMA (V.O.) (CONT'D)
Hello? Are you there?

Someone roles over in bed.

EMMA (V.O.) (CONT'D)
Come on.



INT. SAM'S BEDROOM - EARLY MORNING

A messy teenager's abode. Light pours in through the
window from the just risen sun.

EMMA, a childish young woman, sits on the bed beside SAM,
a very tired young man.

EMMA
It's time to get up.

She smiles at him.



EXT. CAR - LATER

Emma drives the beat up little thing down a bumpy road.
Sam leans his head against the open window, his hair
blowing slightly in the passing wind.



EXT. FIELD - LATER

The sun sits a little higher in the sky now. Tall grass
reaches up to it, searching for warmth.

Sam and Emma cross the big place. She carries a picnic
basket and skips about.

EMMA
I hope he likes it.

They continue into a

FOREST

of tall trees with tiny leaves.

After a moment they stop. Emma puts down the basket and
walks forward just a little forward. She puts her hands
in the air reaching with all her might as if she were
trying to tear herself apart.

She shouts at the emptiness.

EMMA (CONT'D)
Hello! Harold! It's Emma and Sam.
You can come out.

Silence.

Sam looks about. He shouts, too.

SAM
Harold!

Rustling leaves break the silence. Emma turns to see
HAROLD, a man-sized monster in a very dirty brown suit,
standing partially hidden by a thin tree.

EMMA
We've brought a picnic.

Harold stares at her.

HAROLD
Did you bring cucumber sandwiches?

Emma smiles and giggles.

EMMA
Of course.

Harold walks toward them. Sam takes out a checkered
blanket from the basket, unfolds it and sets it to the
ground. Harold and Sam sit upon it.

Emma takes out a bag of sandwiches, a plate, a big jug of
juice and some cups. Balancing them masterfully, she sets
the items on the blanket with the plate at the center and
arranges the little sandwiches on it.

Emma joins Sam and Harold on the blanket.

Harold takes a sandwich and starts to eat.



EXT. FOREST - LATER

Light falls through the leaves.

Emma hides behind a tree. She peaks around it at the
empty forest. She rushes over to another tree.

She spots Sam in the distance. She takes a deep breath
and sprints toward him and taps him on the shoulder.

EMMA
You're it!

She runs away and hides behind another tree.

A little whimper breaks the near silence. Emma follows
the sound over to

A BIG TREE

where Harold sits crying.

EMMA (CONT'D)
Harold?

Harold quickly looks away.

EMMA (CONT'D)
What's the matter?

She sits down next to him.

EMMA (CONT'D)
(to the forest)
Sam!
(to Harold)
What's wrong?

Harold continues to sob.

HAROLD
I'm lonely.

EMMA
But, Sam and I are here for you.

HAROLD
I...

He hesitates then turns to Emma.

HAROLD (CONT'D)
Hate this place.

Emma doesn't know what to say. Sam hurries over.

SAM
What's going on?

EMMA
Shh!

HAROLD
I've never been anyplace else.

EMMA
Then go.

HAROLD
I can't.

EMMA
Why not?

HAROLD
I wouldn't know what to do.

EMMA
Come with us. We'll take you
around.

SAM
We'll go on a quest.

HAROLD
No.

He stands and walks away.



INT. CAR - THAT AFTERNOON

Sam drives now. Emma rests her head upon the open window.
Her hair flickers through the wind.



EXT. FOREST - THAT NIGHT

The moon shines on the leaves.

Harold meanders through the trees. His head hangs low. He
reaches the edge of the forest and stares out at the open
field.

No comments:

Post a Comment